Friday, February 14, 2014

Recipe: THE Salad

I'm fairly certain you know for a fact that you need to eat your rainbows. Unless you were living under a rock, then that's another problem. Anyway, now you do!
Generally, It's recommended to consume 2-3 cups of veggies a day, do I need to mention that raw greens are always better because the process of cooking vegetables causes the loss of some of their nutrients? I just did.
I guess that's where salads and green smoothies come to play, and I don't know about you, but I'm not a fan of drinking my meals. Enter THE salad.


I have this salad everyday. Yes, you read correctly, and I don't even have it for lunch, I have as a part of said lunch. Lunch is our largest meal in Egypt, and dinner is an optional light snack before bed. In other *ahem* eloquent words: I totally inhale a ginormous amount of food at lunchtime.



It's very forgiving, filling and versatile with a light dressing. You can also substitute to your heart's content and add whatever you have on hand like kale, baby spinach, arugula..etc.
It's a match made in my kitchen heaven.

THE Salad

Serves 1-2.

Ingredients:

  • 1 medium tomato
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1 carrot
  • 2 onion slices
  • 1/4 cup diced green, red and yellow sweet pepper
  • 2 red and green cabbage leaves
  • 2 outer romaine lettuce leaves
  • 1/4 cup cottage cheese (or feta)
  • A dash of Za'atar (or thyme) and dried mint
  • A pinch of ground cumin and black pepper 

Process:
Chop. Mix. Sprinkle your cheese and spices on top. 

Dressing:
Add 1-2 tablespoon of olive oil in a small bowl, add a splash of balsamic/apple cider/white vinegar and mix vigorously with a fork. Pour over your salad. Nom.

No comments:

Post a Comment